Total Score: 28.5
iTranslate allows you an easy option to translate signs, express your needs, and to allow others to communicate with you. It also provides you an opportunity to learn and practice other languages – 90 in fact. And, you can use your Watch, iPhone, iPad or iTouch.
Price Rating = 5 Free. In order to get full voice recognition you must update to premium for $6.99. If you do a lot of traveling, it would be well worth it. With premium you also get no ads and unlimited translations.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It is quite easy to select the language, type the word or phrase and then see and hear the translation. Note: it does require an internet connection.
Readability Rating = 5 The font size is large.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 You can use it to learn a language or translate when traveling.
Downsides Rating =0 I didn’t discover any translation issues, but then again I am not expert at other languages.
Consumer Review Rating = 3.5 This is an app that has been downloaded many times. Over 115,000 people have reviewed the app. The current version was rated 4.5 stars – they have continued to improve the app over the years.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Learning a new language is a great way to keep your mind young and active. And, in today’s world, allows you to communicate with more people.
How does it work?
- When you open the app it opens to English on the top (or left on the iPad) and Spanish on the bottom (or right). In order to change either language you just tap the flag to pop up a list of available languages.
- On the screen that has all the languages you will notice that some languages have a toggle icon that takes you to other options. For Spanish you can choose male/female and specific flags for countries that speak Spanish – like Spain and Mexico. And you can control the speed the word is spoken.
- You can type in a word (if you are using the free version) or speak (if you have the premium version) and tap translate. Once translated, it does offer an option in all versions to hear the word pronounced by tapping on the sound icon.
- To type another word or phrase, just tap the original word, or hit clear to start over. It’s that easy!
- The icon at the top right that looks like a book is a history of the words you have searched. Tapping one of them takes you to that word and its spelling and pronunciation.
- Beside each translated word is the standard icon for forwarding/acting on the word. You can copy the words into a message, send them via email, save them in your notes, tweet them, copy them, or add to favorites.
- You can add the iTranslate keyboard to all of your apps. You can also add iTranslate to your “Today Widget.”
- On the Apple Watch, the dictation does work and it makes translation super easy.
I really want to work on my foreign language skills. I know a bit of Spanish, and would love to make that a language I can speak comfortably. And, I have relatives in Thailand and would love to be able to communicate with them. iTranslate makes the process super easy and I I’ll have no excuse to avoid getting started. Try it out and let me know what you think.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone (and Apple Watch), iPod Touch and iPad. It requires iOS 8.0 or later. The App was developed by Sonico GmbH. Check out their website for information about this app.