Total Score: 27.5
There are a lot of weather apps available, but few offer you as much information as the Dark Sky app. You can see a 10-day forecast and some cool graphics that let you see the radar in your area – and the rest of the world. And then add in information about the UV index and wind. All in all a complete package – and you have the ability to access it through your Apple Watch.
Price Rating = 4 $3.99 There are free weather apps available that are very good. If you need for weather information is high, then you will likely not mind paying for this app.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It is easy to use this app. There are three main screens and swiping right and left allows you to easily access them.
Readability Rating = 5 The fonts are a good size and easy to read.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 This is a helpful app to check before you start your morning and to get prepared for the day.
Downsides Rating = 0 The functionality is good. I had one instance of an incorrect forecast, but that can happen on any app. In fact I checked other apps at the time and they reported the same error.
Consumer Review Rating = 3.5 There are over 5,300 reviews and for the most part they are favorable. A friend recommended this app to me as one with extremely reliable weather information. I had one experience during the testing when it said there was no rain in sight and I was caught in a rain shower. Luckily it was warm and a little rain didn’t hurt.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Knowing the weather helps you prepare for the day. Here in Florida it can rain every day. If I have plans to be out – and I usually do – it helps identify the best time.
How does it work?
- When you open the app for the first time it asks if you will allow it to determine your current location. This means two things. The first is that as you move from city to city the forecast will change with you. The second is that it will use up some of your battery power checking your location from time to time if you select “always access.” You can choose, “when using the app” to minimize this.
- The opening screen has a forecast, a current temperature (and whether it is rising or falling) and the high and low for the day. Below that is the scale for the next nine hours.
- At the bottom of that scale are options to change the scale. You can see Precipitation, Temperature, Wind, Humidity or UV index. These options help you focus on what is most important in your area.
- Swiping right brings up a globe with your location identified. You can zoom in for a more detailed look for your area, or spin the globe to see other parts of the world. You can tap the arrow on the bottom left to see the clouds in motion. Tapping it again stops the video. To end that view, tap close at the top right.
- From the main screen swiping left shows you the ten-day forecast. Tapping on any day opens up the opportunity to get detailed information about any day.
- The settings icon (top right, main screen) allows you to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius, to enable the “feels Like” temperature in Today Widget and to disable Google analytics.
- By tapping the “My Notifications” icon on the top left you can create alerts. Creating some of these alerts could add to battery drain.
- You can also tap on the icon at the top right of the main screen to report weather. I have to admit this seems a little odd to me. I want the app to tell me, not me tell them.
As I have mentioned before, I am a bit of a weather geek. It is common for me to use multiple apps to check the weather. I do a lot of exercise outside and need to know what is happening now – and what will happen in the next two hours. Give this one a try and see if it supplements or takes the place of your current weather app. For me, right now it is a supplement, but the more I learn, the more I think it can take the place of my second favorite – Yahoo weather.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Apple Watch. It requires iOS 7.0 or later. The App was developed by The Dark Sky Company, LLC. Check out their website for information about this app.