Total Score: 29.5
Day One is the Journal app you have been looking for. It is super easy to use, combines words and photos, a reminder function and the ability to auto add location and weather. I admit to having this app installed for a long time. I just didn’t have the desire to journal or test the app. One day, after using Loop Journal for a while, I decided to try to use Day One as well. For about 30 days, I have kept both and find each to have their benefits. Loop Journal prompts you to enter your thoughts on a specific topic, Day One is more free flowing.
Price Rating = 5 $4.99. I am always conflicted about cost. I don’t mind paying for good quality – and this app is well designed and full functioned. There are a number of journal/diary apps out there. You can look around and decide if you are willing to pay a little extra to get a lot of functionality and a sleek design.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Easy to add notes and photos.
Readability Rating = 5 It is as easy as hitting the plus sign to get started. You can add a photo or not. I don’t always have a photo to go with my day, but enjoy adding them from time to time.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you commit to keeping a journal, you will find this one easy to keep up with.
Downsides Rating = 0 The only difficulty I had was syncing my iPhone and iPad versions of the app. I think I have to start over and then it might work. I’ll report back later. At the moment I am not taking any points off. The website does have instructions and I will try again.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 This app has been well-tested. There are over 14,800 reviews and has an extremely high rating. Now would be a good time to mention it is an Apple Design Winner (2014) and was App of the Year (2012).
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Keeping a journal helps you celebrate today and reflect on the past. Keeping an electronic journal has the benefit of always being available for you.
How does it work?
- You can get started with Day One without signing in at all. You might want to sign in so that you can back it up via iCloud or Dropbox.
- When I open the app it auto loads to the screen to add your thoughts. You see a plus sign or a photo icon. Either way you have the option to write and post photos.
- If you make an error you can edit the text. You’ll see EDIT at the top right corner.
- You can STAR an entry after you finish it. It isn’t easy to spot it. While in the TIMELINE you can see the gray star at the bottom. Tap once to turn the star gold. Tap again if you change your mind about starring it.
- You can TAG your entries to group them. You’ll find the tag on the bottom line of your day’s entry. The ICON looks like a gift tag.
- You can adjust the date, or let it be set automatically. This function allows you to add entries you might think of after an event. I added a picture late in the process and it asked if I wanted to use the date of the photo or the current date. I liked being asked.
- You can add the functionality (through iPhone location settings) to allow it to include the temperature and location of your entry. Once added, you can adjust the location by using the map icon on the bottom row.
- You can tap TIMELINE (top left corner) to see all of your entries in a line.
- When you go back to the MENU (top left on TIMELINE view) you can tap CALENDAR to see how many entries you have. Blue indicates your entries. Black indicates the current date.
- From MENU you can see all of your photos, tags and starred entries and years.
- Through the SETTINGS icon you can create a pass code to ensure your entries are private. You can also set reminders to encourage you to enter each day.
- And, if privacy isn’t an issue, you can publish your entry by emailing your entry or tapping the DAY ONE logo at the bottom . You can send your entry to Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr or Foursquare. I did not test this functionality.
I have enjoyed using this app. Will I keep it up? Hard to say. I can tell you I have enjoyed it enormously. It has a nice display and doesn’t require me to enter too much. I can be brief and feel like I have accomplished something from my bucket list. Check one off – Keep a journal.
Devices: This app is compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Requires iOS 8.0 or later. It is optimized for iPhone 5, 6 and 6 Plus. It was developed by Bloom Built, LLC.