Total Score: 27.5
Have you always wanted an assistant who would see that you wake up in the morning. Essentially giving the responsibility to someone else. Well, this app goes a long way to granting that wish. You set the alarm, and believe me, getting the darn thing to stop ringing is a challenge. There won’t be any oversleeping when you use this app. Give Carrot Alarm – Talking Alarm Clock a try.
Price Rating = 4 $2.99. You can certainly find cheaper clock apps, but this one is for the type of person who has trouble getting up. Or, perhaps, wakes up instantly and enjoys a little challenge.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 The design is easy to use. The waking up part is designed to be difficult, to accomplish its intent.
Readability Rating = 5 All the fonts are a fine size. You do have to open your eyes to answer the questions and do the actions, but the instructions are readable.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 It is easy to set and use, making it an app you are likely to use.
Downsides Rating = 0 Everything worked as expected. I found no problems with the app. One of the comments mentioned it was too easy to get it to snooze. It does make annoying sounds when you request some snooze time, but it doesn’t stop you.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 There are over 1,000 reviews and they are very positive.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 4 If you are the kind of person who needs a strong wake up call – this app is for you.
How does it work?
- When you open the app it gives you a quick tour of the functions. You begin to get a feel for the sassy nature of the interface. They call it a sentient alarm clock.
- Setting the alarm is really easy. You drag the time up or down to find the time you want. Then drag the clock right to turn it on and left to turn it off. When off the main screen is white, when on, it switches to a background with stars. Now, the waking up part is where you see the true functionality.
- At any time you can turn it off or on by dragging the clock left or right.
- When the alarm goes off it gets progressively louder and offers you the option to wake or snooze.
- When you tap wake up it starts asking you a series of questions and actions to take that do take some thought. I have to admit that it stressed me a little, but I saw the humor in it and was definitely awake.
- As you successfully use the app (and don’t annoy it) you get rewards of new wake up songs, app upgrades or bedtime stories. I haven’t accomplished this yet.
I tried the app because it amused me. I actually wake up pretty easily in the mornings. Well, not as easily as I originally thought. The process of answering the questions really woke me up. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Devices: This app is compatible with iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. Requires iOS 7.0 or later. It is optimized for iPhone 5. App website.