Total Score: 29.5
PumpUp – Health & Fitness Community is the social networking equivalent of Instagram. But that’s not all it does, you can build workouts as well! You share your fitness photos and successes with your friends and get the opportunity to brag a little, along with being inspired by others. I usually share the photos I created in FitSnap.
Price Rating = 5 Free. There are in-app upgrades. I found the free app completely satisfactory, but if you are a hard-core fitness person, you might want to upgrade.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 I haven’t tested all the features, but what I have tested has been easy to use. There are a lot of workouts you can create. I only created a few.
Readability Rating = 5 The fonts are smallish on the iPhone, but there is only so much real estate that can be used. On the iPad they are nice and large.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 The combination of a fitness app that links you to social sharing with a like-minded group is powerful.
Downsides Rating = 0 I haven’t discovered any downsides.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 There are over 2,500 reviews and they are very positive. The exercise community is large.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 At the risk of repeating myself, combining an app that can walk you through exercises with social networking for inspiration does seem like a winner.
How does it work?
- You start all activity by hitting the large plus sign on the bottom of the screen in the middle. From there you can start a workout, track your weight, log an activity or share a photo.
- If you tap to “share a photo” it asks if you want to take one or choose from your library. The usual iPhone/iPad functionality comes into play here.
- If you choose to log an activity it asks you for details about the activity – how long, what intensity, etc.
- If you enter your weight it asks for your weight first and then encourages you to set a goal.
- If you tap “start a workout” it directs you to the plus button at the top right to build a workout (if you haven’t already built one). You will be directed through various screens to help you determine what you want to do (lose weight, get toned, be healthy, build muscle) and then to the appropriate exercise.
I’m impressed with the functionality in this app. And, now I have a small group of friends that inspire me to try harder. Yes, the app does have a lot of followers who are young and buff, but within the total community there are all sizes, ages and shapes of people. Try it out and see what you think. Share your thoughts in the comment section of this website.
Devices: This app is compatible with iPhone, iPod and iPad. Requires iOS 6.0 or later and is optimized for the iPhone 5. App developed by PumpUp, Inc.