Total Score: 27.5
If you are looking for a calculator that is loaded with features, FastCalc is the one for you and is available for both the iPhone and iPad. With touch functionality, you can add numbers and change from multiplication, to division to addition easily. Not only that, you can change the display from the plain gray and white shown in the photos to vivid and interesting colors.
Price Rating = 5 $2.99. Free is always nice, but this app is worth this small amount of money. There is a free version for you to test. Just remember not all functions are available for free.
Ease of Use Rating = 4 It is actually very easy to use, but it took me a couple of minutes to figure it out. Once I understood how it works, it was easy to use consistently. It is very easy to delete numbers and very easy to see running totals – both features are important to me.
Readability Rating = 5 The fonts are a nice size on both the iPhone and iPad.
Will You Use It Rating = 4 It is handy to have a calculator with you at all time, especially a full-function one.
Downsides Rating = 0 I couldn’t really find any downsides. There are a lot of options for calculating, which come in handy.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 There aren’t a lot of ratings at this time, so I am using my own view. There are a lot of features within this app that I like.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 I find myself reaching for my iPhone often for big and small math problems. I think you’ll find this app helpful.
How does it work?
- When you open the app you see the standard calculator keyboard. And, you see a bit more. Let’s start with the easy part.
- You can tap the screen up at the top and an information symbol will appear. Tapping it brings up some help screens and some short videos to show you how they work.
- You can tap a number and see if appear on screen. If you entered the number incorrectly you can either hit the X key on the bottom row or simply touch the screen at the top and slowly drag your finger over the number (or numbers) you want to erase.
- The iPad has room for the standard math symbols plus and minus as well as times and division. The iPhone doesn’t have as much real estate, so there is a cleaver way to include them.
- You will find the times symbol below the number five and the division below the number six. In order to use them, you touch the key and drag downwards. Some keys have extra features on all sides. So you could potentially be swiping any direction to insert an action.
- The answer appears on the right side of the screen as you work. Which makes it easy when you are adding actions upon actions.
- Tapping the screen at the top brings up the settings. You can alter the colors of the keyboard or the display. If you choose the standard palette you have nine options. If you chose RGB you open up a lot more possibilities. You don’t have to make these changes, but it does brighten up the displays.
- You can also adjust the number of decimal places, create thousands separators, turn sound off or on. And set a message to confirm before clearing.
All in all, this is a fully functional calculator app that is fun to use. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 5.0 or later. It has been optimized for iPhone 5. App developed by DifferentApps