Total Score: 29
Whether you are in high school or just trying to brush up on your language skills, you’ll find the High School Spanish app for iPhone and iPad just what you need. It has flash cards, pronounces the words and has extensive information to help build your skills. Why wouldn’t you want it, it was developed by Spanish teachers for students and provides you with the information you need to study efficiently and with some work, get that A you were hoping for.
Price Rating = 5 $4.99. Sure, we’d all like everything to be free, but sometimes you just have to buckle down and pay for value. When you see how much is available, you will think the cost is reasonable. There is one in-app purchase (currently) for integration with Quizlet. I did not download the in-app purchase, but it says that you get thousands of pre-packaged flashcards.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It is easy to understand what information is being offered and to move around within the app.
Readability Rating = 4 On the iPhone some of the text is a little small. It is, of course, larger on the iPad.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you are taking Spanish in High School or College, or just want to learn Spanish you’ll find this app extremely helpful.
Downsides Rating = 0 The initial download is time consuming, but I did not take off any points for that.
Consumer Review Rating = 5 This app is rated well, but in fairness, there aren’t a lot of reviews at the moment.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 If learning Spanish is what you want to do, then having flashcards, and native pronunciation is critical.
How does it work?
- When you open the app, you will see five icons at the bottom of the screen. The first icon (starting from the left) , WRITING TIPS, provides you with tips for writing everything from blogs to emails to formal letters.
- The second icon , GRAMMAR, provides you with multiple tips about Spanish grammar. Where was this app when I was taking Spanish!
- The DICTIONARY, the third icon, is pretty obvious. You can get a definition and hear the word pronounced. The dictionary includes English words (with an American flag beside them) and then offers you the Spanish translations for the words.
- The FLASHCARDS icon offers you options. You can either see the English word and have the Spanish word on the reverse side, or start with Spanish and turn over the card for English. You double tap to make the card turn over, and once again, can have it pronounce the word in Spanish for you. You can slide the cards right to left to keep learning new words or phrases.
- The last icon is COMPREHENSION. You can read or listen and then take a test to determine if you understood what you read or heard. I was particularly impressed by this section. You can get an idea how well you are learning by testing yourself on your reading/listening skills.
This app is full-featured, and from my view point, a necessity for anyone taking a Spanish class, and certainly an app that would be useful for anyone with an interest in learning Spanish.
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPad, iPhone and iTouch. The app is optimized for iPhone 5. It requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app was developed by Common Ground International, LLC.