Total Score: 28.5
In our technological world the need to scan a document seems to be common. Scanners as desk top devices are available at times, but wouldn’t it be handy if you can scan from your iPhone or iPad? Well, many apps do it, but Black and White Scanner or iPhone or iPad makes it really easy. Easy, to do standard documents, standard optional choices and even custom options. Give it a try and see what you think.
Price Rating = 5 $2.99. Pretty good bargain considering a scanner can cost upwards of $50. Many come with printers now days, but you aren’t always where your scanner is, so portable is very handy. There is a free version, but there is a pretty substantial watermark that shows up in your documents. For a less than $3.00 you can eliminate all ads. You could give the free version a try to check out the functionality. I think if you do it will sell you on the paid version.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Only a few steps and you have a PDF or PNG file read to send or share.
Readability Rating = 5 Considering the space available on an iPhone, the text is nicely readable and icons are good size.
Will You Use It Rating = 4 I have already used it in a business environment and it worked perfectly. I’ve also captured a personal image, just haven’t shared it yet.
Downsides Rating = 0 I haven’t found any downsides.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 This app has been well received by the people who have downloaded it. There have been 30+ ratings so far.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 This app can put a scanner in each iPhone and iPad users hands. That sounds valuable to me. It could be used to send medical, financial or school records.
How does it work?
- In order to scan a receipt, you tap the CAMERA icon on the far right. The camera opens and you center the receipt. You can lighten or darken the ink to get a better image by using the slider at the bottom of the screen. Tap on the screen to take the photo.
- Once you have your scan you can size it by moving the green arrows up and down, or right to left. You can also adjust the paper size by tapping the SIZE icon. Or, you can use two fingers to zoom and rotate. Or, use one finger to position the image.
- From here you can either tap the RETAKE or DONE icons. If you make an adjustment that you want to change you can tap the RESET icon to change it back to the way it was originally scanned.
- The last option on this screen is the TRASH icon. I am not entirely sure how that would be different from tapping the RETAKE icon, but it does remove the image.
- Now that you have the image you can SEND it as either a PDF or PNG, name the file, set the resolution and send it via email or via other apps. You can send it to whatever email you want and it can be opened in apps you have installed on your phone.
- Once you have multiple documents scanned, you will know the active document by the green dot at the bottom left corner.
All and all a useful app. As I mentioned, I’ve only had it installed a week and have had two different opportunities for use.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 3.1.2 or later. App developed by Tipirneni Software, LLC