Total Score: 29
This app, Glasses.com, is the perfect companion to help you shop for frames for your lenses. I don’t know about you, but when I am standing in a store I would prefer to shop for frames with my glasses on! This app allows you to see how frames look on your face and order them through the app. With the information provided, you could, of course, find a local store, go try them on and then arrange for your purchase through them. I happen to be in the market for new frames, so this app came along at a perfect time.
Price Rating = 5 Free. Of course their goal is to sell you frames, but they didn’t cut any corners on this app. It has amazing properties.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It is easy to select the type of frames you are looking for – materials, colors, prices, etc.
Readability Rating = 5 The landscape of an iPad allows for generous font sizes.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you are shopping for glasses, I think this is a must-have app.
Downsides Rating = 0 I didn’t have any problems while testing.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 There are around 900 reviews with an average of four stars. Some people had trouble and got a “no results found” message. I didn’t run into any problems. The problems could have been due to start-up issues or not having the correct iOS. Just guessing here.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Need is always subjective. I don’t like trying on glasses in stores because I feel stressed with so many choices and feeling like I should shop faster. And, as mentioned above, I have to try them on without lenses, so I can’t actually see how I look. Sure, I have a general idea, but it still feels uncomfortable. With this app I can examine each frame at my leisure.
How does it work?
- Your first step is to create a user ID. They don’t require you to create any complicated sign-ons, just give yourself a name. I believe at this step you also say whether you are a man or woman. You also choose which types of glasses you might like to try on. I suggest choosing a wide range to get the most options.
- Next, watch the in-App videos to learn how to record your 3D image. Basically, you hold the iPad up in front of a bathroom mirror and (using the front camera) record your face as you turn right and left. Then, using the rear camera, you record the dimensions of your face so that the glasses can be positioned perfectly. I didn’t have any issues with these steps. I didn’t like the first video because I was looking at the iPad, instead of looking in the mirror, so I just redid it.
- Then you select the type of glasses you want. This involves choosing materials, colors, brands, bi-focal eligible, etc. At this point you can also select your price range.
- Next, you will see your face and four options on the screen. You can turn your face right and left and move the glasses up and down your nose. If you tap any image you can see the frames up closer and get more information.
- You can also share the pictures with your friends and ask their opinions.
- You can arrange in-home try on with free shipping both ways as long as you return them within 30 days.
- You an upgrade your lenses to lighter weight, transitions and non-glare and, by providing the prescription, order and pay for your new glasses.
Within about 20 minutes I had selected six frames I liked, and I’m ready to have my eyes examined and then shop. I’ll come back to this app later and let you know how this worked out. I plan on calling my local stores to see if they carry the frames that I like. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPad only. It requires iOS 6.0 or later. This app was developed by 1-800 Contacts, Inc.