Total Score: 27.5
As it says in the app, the best day to go fishing is any day that ends in “Y.” Is that your motto? If so, the Ultimate Fishing Guide app will be a good choice for you. it is feature filled and fun. Hook up the boat, head out to the lake and explore the app while you wait for a bite.
Price Rating = 5 $2.99 is a fair price considering what you get for the money. You get tips, links, video and the book, Big Bass Magic (which is currently selling for more than $9.00 on Amazon.com.)
Ease of Use Rating = 4.5 There is a lot of content in this app, but it is easy to move between sections. The one downside is that the book is embedded as a PDF, you can make the text larger, but it is a little difficult to read as the app only works in portrait mode.
Readability Rating = 5 Reasonable size font.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If fishing is your hobby, I would think this would be an app you use every time you go out. It combines fishing facts and real-time NOAA weather info.
Downsides Rating = -1 The only downside I found was that the text on the fishing quiz is too light and you can barely see the answer choices. I noticed one comment on iTunes that someone thought the tabs were blank. They aren’t – but they are really hard to read.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 With 20 ratings to date (app was released recently), the response has been very positive.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Going fishing is good for you in so many ways. It combines physical activity and the relaxation of solitude or the fun of being out with friends. And, of course, the value of enjoying nature.
How does it work?
- The app has five icons at the bottom. At the center is a CAMERA icon. When you tap it you can either take a picture, choose an image from your photo library or email an image. This is an important feature of a fishing app. You want to be able to share your catch with your friends.
- You will find a lot of information on the HOME icon. It is the first one on the left. You can A) ask the professor questions; B) view videos; C) view the book, Big Bass Magic; D) Use the Fish Weight Calculator; E) Check out Hannon’s Moon Clock; F) Take the fishing quiz; G) Look up fish in Fishipedia; H) Check out the Big Bass Wallpapers; I) Create Big Bass Certificates; or J) Join the bragging board. Once you have selected an option from the home board, you only need to tap HOME again to bring you back to all the choices.
- From the Ask the Professor tab on the HOME screen you can ask questions, chat, link to the Bass Professor’s Facebook account, tweet or send an email message.
- The FIELD GUIDE icon is filled with information. You tell it when you are fishing (morning, midday, afternoon or evening) and the weather and water conditions. Then you get video tips and lure suggestions.
- The US LAKES tab provides you with lakes in each state. Not just a list, but also map views.
- Last, but not least, is a NOAA tab. This is a direct link to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association information. You can either put in a zip code or use a map to find the weather conditions. This is a safety must have!
I am an acknowledged geek and you may be asking yourself, “what does she know about fishing?” I probably went fishing for the first time before I was five. If I wanted to see my grandparents, than fishing is what I expected. But, I have to admit, it was never a steady hobby of mine. I made sure my two sons knew how to fish (they learned through scouts, my husband and my uncle Bill) and I have a brother, Ron, who lives for fishing. So, I believe with my inner geekiness and my knowledge of fishing I am a good candidate for reviewing this app. And, in the end, when I find myself fishing again, I know what app I want as my partner.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 4.3 or later. App developed by Pro Media Now, Inc.