Total Score: 28.5
Do you need a way to keep track of your medications? Do you need to take medications more than once a day and find it difficult to remember? If so, Mango Health is your answer. It not only provides reminders, but valuable medication information too. Plus, you have the opportunity to earn points and win prizes. If you want all of that in a colorful, easy to ready package – then Mango Health is your app!
Price Rating = 5 Free. What can I say, you get a lot of functionality at no cost.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It is easy to add medications, and then once they are loaded, it is easy to find information and over-the-counter drugs to avoid.
Readability Rating = 5 The fonts are a nice large size and very readable. The display is colorful and engaging.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 I only take one medication, but sometimes I get busy and forget I need to take it. This app is certainly one I value.
Downsides Rating = -1 I couldn’t find a place to put the tablet potency – example 25 mg. This is the first version of the app and they note they will be expanding coverage of supplements and improving the speed of the application.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 There aren’t many reviews at this time, but the reviews entered are primarily positive. One user said they were taking a medication that wasn’t in their library. Another mentioned they would like to see a feature allowing for different doses of the same medication.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 There’s a lot going on in our lives and it helps to have an app remind you of critical needs like taking a medication. You could use your calendar reminders, but they might get lost in the noise of other reminders. Having an app that is devoted to medications makes sense to me.
How does it work?
- Your first task when opening the app is to add medications. You can do this by tapping on the ADD button at the bottom of the screen. You type in the name, set the form and the total in the bottle. I am assuming you set the total in the bottle so it can remind you when you need to refill the prescription.
- You set the reminders as well. How many you take, how often you take it/them and the time you want to be reminded. You can also toggle on a setting for “take as needed.” Then you tap CONFIRM.
- Once you have confirmed your medication you will see an alert. This allows you to see the over the counter medications that might interfere with your medication. You can also learn more about your medication.
- The HISTORY button at the bottom shows the points you have earned by taking your medications.
- The SETTINGS button offers you the opportunity to create an account and share the information on multiple devices.
Note: You won’t earn points if you see the reminder and go take your medication. You have to go into the app and confirm you took your medication to earn points. Judging from the history comparison, this is likely a step that many people miss.
As I mentioned above, one of the more appealing things about this app is its attractive visual display. Taking medication isn’t a lot of fun and anything that keeps it less boring is helpful. The reminder system works well, and I get points as long as I remember to check in daily that I took the mediation.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 5.0 or later. App developed by Mango Health.