Total Score: 29
One of the joys of using an iPhone is the ability to take and manipulate photos. The name of this app, Pixies – Fun with Photos really tells you all you need to know. The only other thing you need to know is that it’s so easy. This is one of those apps that just makes you want to go through your camera roll, add to your photos and share them.
Price Rating = 5 Free. With the free version you get selected pixies from each category and the full birthday category. Upgrades are 99 cents each.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Very easy.
Readability Rating = 5 All fonts are easy to read.
Will You Use It Rating = 4 It is fun, and a trifle addictive. I think you will have fun using this app.
Downsides Rating = 0 I did not experience any problems while testing this software.
Consumer Review Rating = 5 There have been about 30 reviews when I reviewed this, but all reviews were extremely positive.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Our relationships with friends and family are important. Sharing photos is a way we stay connected in this busy world.
How does it work?
- You can either use a photo from your camera roll or take a photo. This step is all standard iPhone or iPad functionality.
- Once you have your photo you can start adding layers to it. You tap the P icon to get started. A list of categories will come up to choose from. Some pixies in each category are free, some would need to be purchased. Once you select a pixie you can rotate it, scale it or make it more opaque
- Each pixie you add is a separate layer. By tapping on the LAYERS icon you can delete a feature you added. You can also layer one image on top of the other. You tap and hold the icon (three lines) at the extreme right of the layer and then move it up one layer. Save it, go back to your image and make sure that is what you wanted to do.
- By tapping the T icon you can add text to the picture. You can tap on the A icon in this section and change the font. You can tap on the paint brush and change the color of the font. If you tap on the keyboard again you can type in your caption. You can tap and hold and move the text anywhere around the image.
- The SHARE icon takes you to a screen where you can send the image to Facebook, Twitter, email or save it to your camera roll. You can also print it on Zazzle. There is also an option to enter a Pixies of the week contest.
- The app is so simple that you don’t need a lot of settings. The settings icon allows you to follow @PixiesApp on Twitter, Like them on Facebook, Watch YouTube Tutorials or restore in-app purchases.
Have fun with this app and feel free to share your Pixies with the appsforgrownups readers.
This app was developed by MindSmack LLC and is compatible with iPhone (3Gs, 4, 4S and 5), iPod Touch (3rd, 4th and 5th generation) and iPad. It has been optimized for iPhone 5. It requires iOS 5.0 or later.