Total Score: 27.5
This isn’t your average weather app. You can use this new cool weather app to get the information you need in a format that does not bore you silly. Swackett for iPad does not skimp on information. You get the full gamut from current conditions to in-depth radar. All of this is wrapped up in a colorful, fun package. I can easily see it as valuable for adults and a way to engage children in understanding how weather works.
Price Rating = 5 Free. What a deal this is. It is a full-featured weather app at no cost. It does have ads at the bottom, but that is the usual “price” for a free app. You can permanently disable ads through a $1.99 in-app purchase. You can also get a Power Pack bundle (Swackett PRO) for $2.99. There are various other in-app purchase opportunities as well.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 The flow of this app is good. You can navigate in several ways, by either tapping icons or swiping.
Readability Rating = 5 Good sized fonts throughout.
Will You Use It Rating = 4 It provides you with the weather info you need in a colorful fun format. There are a lot of weather apps out there. You may have to test and try ones to find out which one fits you the best.
Downsides Rating = 0 I did not have any issues with the app. Works well. Some people may find the obvious American Eagle advertising as annoying. On the other hand, others may be interested in the clothing.
Consumer Review Rating = 3.5 This is a new app and has fewer than 50 ratings. Most are positive.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 For me, a weather app is almost as important as the calendar. Is it going to be too cool tonight for my tomatoes? That is easy to check. Should I bring an umbrella? Also easy to check.
How does it work?
- When you open the app you see the current time and temperature, what it feels like, and of course, a Peep (one of the people) appropriately dressed for the day. You can swipe up or down to change the clothing of the peep. Or, swipe right to left to change from a female to a male peep. These variations can be selected through the settings screen. Three settings are free and you can enable additional ones through an in-app purchase.
- There are fun facts scattered around these screens. Today, the coolest “feels like” temperature globally is -60 at Batagay, Russia and, Nationally, it is -7 in Arctic Village, Alaska.
- At the bottom of the screen you can swipe through multiple options.
- Sales by sponsors
- Forecast details
- 24 hours, 5 day forecast
- Satellite imagery
- Watches and Warnings
- Peep IQ
- Add on screens
- Tapping on the imagery icon brings up a regional radar map. Tapping on a map enlarges it. There are four different maps you can page through. An X at the top allows you to go back to the main screen.
- Tapping on the location button will allow you to add or edit cities. Tapping on the city names changes the location you see on your screen.
- You can set the app to show temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius. You can also adjust the weather ranges to meet your expectations. Above 85 is set as Hot, maybe you think it shouldn’t say “hot” unless it’s 90. You can control that setting.
All in all an enjoyable app that provides you with information you want. It is a new way at looking at weather, but don’t be fooled, you still get solid weather information when you need it.
Devices: This app is compatible with iPad. It requires iOS 5.0 or later. It was developed by AGLogic, LLC.