Total Score: 29.5
I test a lot of productivity apps because I crave organization. I am not organized by nature, so I need a lot of help. I want options to order reminders by date, by category, prioritize some – but not others, get reminders, add, and move them around easily. Any.DO does all those things, and a few more.
Price Rating = 5 Free. You will be surprised by how much functionality you get for zero cost.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It is easy to learn how to use and provides you with a lot of shortcuts.
Readability Rating =5 Reasonable size font. You have the choice of white on black background or black on white background.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 I know I will. It is easy to view and move around tasks – and I have a lot of them.
Downsides Rating = 0 I have not found anything I would take points off for yet. It is not optimized for the iPad, but displays nicely on it. I would like to reorder folders – there is probably a way, but I have not found it yet.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 The reviewers are very positive about this app. It has had over 14,000 reviews with very few negative comments.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 We do a lot of multi-tasking and it is easy to have something drop out of your mind. Apps like this reduce stress.
How does it work?
- The first thing you need to do is create a log in. I used email, but I believe you can also use Facebook.
- One you are logged in you can start adding tasks and folders. We will address folders first. It comes pre-loaded with Work and Personal. You can add a folder easily by tapping the plus sign beside the New Category heading. It is located at the bottom of your folder list.
- Once you have a folder, you can tap the plus sign next to the folder to add a task. A microphone comes up with the words “I want to” next to it. You can either type in that space or tap the microphone and record your task.
- Once you have recorded or typed a task, you can set a reminder by tapping the alarm bell. On that screen you can also set a date and the alarm. You can set the alarm time for an exact time or between 5 minutes to one hour before you want to be reminded.
- If you type, “call” or “email” the app will try to help you by using predictive text as you type. As I type “Call San,” the app finds my friend Sandra and by tapping on her name I can auto fill the field.
- You can use the exclamation marks icon to mark a task as important. It turns the font color to red.
- You can add notes to a task by tapping the paper icon (second from right underneath a task). Once you have added a note, the paper icon will show how many notes you have added by putting a number at the top right of the icon. (More options available – see information about Settings below.)
- You can share the task with friends. If they have Any.DO, the task will be added to their Any.DO list as a shared task. If they do not have the app, they will get a message asking if they want to download Any.DO.
- You can reorder tasks within folders or to other folders by dragging and dropping the task.
- You can complete tasks by swiping right to left. Or, mark them as active again by swiping left to right. You can delete a completed task by tapping the X in the bottom right of the task.
- By tapping the icon that looks like two lines at the bottom of the screen you can reorder the tasks by date or folder – your choice. Or, you can bring up a list of ones that you have deleted by tapping the x on the main screen. On this screen you can delete them permanently.
- Another feature found on this two-line icon is settings. You’ll see the icon at the bottom right corner. Tapping it will allow you to add and delete folders, switch the color scheme, change the language, provide feedback to Any.DO, set the badge requirements (what you want the number at the top of the icon to represent – tasks due today, tasks in specific folders, etc.) You can also sign-off this point.
If you not impressed by getting all of this at no cost – there is more.
- If you turn your device to landscape mode you have more options. The two left icons control what happens on the left side of the screen and the two right icons control what happens on the right side of the screen.
- Option #1 is tapping both folder icons. You will see blue lines below them. If you do that, you will see icons of folders on the left and the specific reminders on the right. Clicking any folder will make that list jump to the top.
- Option #2 is tapping the clock icon on the left and the folder icon on the right. This brings up a calendar on the left and the reminders, sorted by folder, on the right.
- Option #3 is tapping the two clock icons. That brings up the calendar on the left and the tasks on the right by date. You can tap on any date to bring those tasks to the top of the list.
- Your tasks are stored in the cloud and can be accessed on multiple devices.
I suspect there are a few more features that I have not found yet. Overall, I am very impressed by the functionality of the app and the ease of use. Try it and let me know what you think.
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. It requires iOS 5.0 or later. It has been optimized for the iPhone 5. It was developed by Any.DO.