Total Score: 27.5
Instagram is an enormously popular app. It has over 200 million users. I’m a little late to the party here, but decided I would be remiss if I didn’t review it as well. I’m not of the “take a picture of my buddies at a party” generation, but I do think Instagram offers a lot of potential for the casual user. You could create an account account for just your family or share your hobby with others (more on this below).
Price Rating = 5 Free. That is probably why it has so many faithful users.
Ease of Use Rating = 4 I would not say the icons are intuitive, but they are not hard to learn.
Readability Rating = 4 The fonts are a good size. They are not large, but are readable.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 Sharing photos is a way to connect with friends and family. Follow people with your interests or create groups of your own.
Downsides Rating = 0 I could not find anything that detracted from the app. It is not currently optimized for the iPad, but the photos still look very good.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 It has a million users who either wrote a review or gave it a rating. I think we can safely say this has been tested and customer approved.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 You have a Facebook page and a Twitter account. You have heard about Instagram and want to try it – now is the time.
How does it work?
- The app has been installed on my phone (unused) for a while, but I am sure when you first open it up you need to set up a profile. It asks for your name and a user name, a bio (if you wish) and then asks for an email address. You can add your gender and birthday – but you do not have to.
- There are five icons at the bottom of the screen. The first is your HOME screen. It works, and looks a lot like Twitter. It is a stream of photos you have shared, and the people you follow have shared.
- You can search by topics using the icon that looks like a COMPASS. You can look for users online by typing in a name. Or, you can type a # and a topic. The # sign is called a hash tag. So, if you wanted to see pictures of trains, you would type #trains. You can only follow someone (have his or her photos appear in your feed) through the users tab. One you have reviewed the photos you found under a hash tag (#) you can type that person’s name in and follow them.
- The center icon is the CAMERA icon. While you are out and about, you can take a photo through Instagram and post it to your Twitter account (or other social media sites). You can also apply filters to change the look of your photo.
- The HEART icon shows you pictures liked by people you are following – or you can like a picture when you see it.
- The BUSINESS CARD icon (far right) has your profile information. From there you can adjust your settings.
- I have not used this feature yet, but after you take a picture, you can allow the location to be captured and then you can see your photos in a map view. It is a very cool feature, but for some, could evoke privacy concerns.
I have just scratched the surface of how this app can be used. I am a neophyte and enjoying the experience. I think you will enjoy the social aspect of this app along with the ability to share and explore photos of people with interests similar to yours.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 4.3 or later. App developed by Burbn, Inc. I do not often review apps with this warning, but this app is rated for children 12+ for infrequent/mild sexual content or nudity, crude humor, suggestive themes and alcohol, tobacco or drug use references.