Total Score: 29.5
Getting a good night’s sleep is an important part of maintaining a healthy body. Sleep restores the brain. On the other hand, lack of sleep can lead to weight gain and attention deficit. So, what can you do? Going to bed early helps, but sometimes it’s hard to fall asleep. The Very Night App is the solution to that problem. It provides soothing music and light and helps you transition from your stress-filled life to a peaceful night’s sleep.
Price Rating = 5 $2.99. This is a reasonable price for the functionality. There is a free version, but it is not as full-featured and only allows you to bring in two of your own songs. With the paid version you can bring in any song from your play list.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 The graphics are clear and it is very easy to understand how it works.
Readability Rating = 5 The fonts are a nice large size and very readable.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 The app is easy to use and it will not take long before you find that you do not want to go to sleep without it.
Downsides Rating = 0 When I toggled the music off it still played. I didn’t take any points off for this as the point of the app is to listen to music as you fall asleep. Maybe I misunderstood what the purpose of the toggle.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 At the time I am writing this, there are not enough reviews to give it an official rating. So, I will give it my rating. It works exactly as promised.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 As I mentioned above, a good night’s sleep is critical for a healthy body.
How does it work?
- When you open the app, you can push the start button and then music and a light display begin. It runs for 30 minutes, which should allow you enough time to fall asleep.
- You can adjust the options by tapping the small icon near the top right corner. From this place, there is an on/off toggle button to turn the sleep music off. I did that and the music still played. I am not entirely sure why you would want to turn it off – unless you just wanted to see the lights.
- The second option is the music list. You can control which of the five standard songs that come with the app you want to include by clicking the check marks on or off.
- You can turn on iPod Songs and then select the songs from your music list that would help you go to sleep. The music chosen by the app is very slow, 72 beats per minute, close to a resting heart rate, so you might want to pick songs with a similar cadence.
- You have the option of allowing the songs to shuffle, or play in order through an on/off toggle.
- While the music is playing you can see a blue animation that emits some light, but not too much. It is pleasing to watch, although I think, for sleep, you would have your eyes closed. It might help you to get into a centered place for meditation.
This app was designed for helping you transition to a restful sleep, but it seemed perfect as an accompaniment to mediation so I tested for both uses. It functioned perfectly for me. In our sometimes crazy busy lives, this sounds like a perfect fit.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone (3GS, 4, 4S and 5), iPod Touch (3rd, 4th and 5th generation) or iPad. It requires iOS 5.0 or later. App developed by La Cool Studio.