Total Score: 28
LinkedIn is a business-networking site and this review is not about the value of LinkedIn as a networking took, but for LinkedIn the app for iPad or iPhone. However, if you are one of the 100 million users, you will find the LinkedIn app essential. Not only does it make it easy to check in and update on the go, but also it has a lovely user interface that will make you want to check in even more often.
Price Rating = 5 Free.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It has a lot of information, nicely organized for access.
Readability Rating = 5 Completely readable on the iPhone and even easier on the iPad.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you are a member of the LinkedIn network then you will find this useful.
Downsides Rating = 0 I do not see any significant downsides – at least not yet. It appears that updating your profile is easiest when done online rather than on your mobile device. I would like it to be as simple, but it is not critical.
Oddly enough, at this time, the iPad version does not have a job search function. That is what accounted for many lower ratings on iTunes. You do have to be on an iPhone, PC or MAC to apply for a job.
Consumer Review Rating = 3 With over 33,000 reviews, the app has been well vetted. Most of the negative comments were related to a lack of ability to apply for a job when using the iPad. (As noted above)
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 When it comes to social media, is not about need as much as it is about choice. If you have a LinkedIn account, you will probably want to be able to access it easily. This app does the trick.
How does it work?
- You need to have a LinkedIn account in order to access the features. Your first step will be to sign-in to that account. Unlike some sites, this site does allow you to sign-on using multiple devices. I am currently signed in on the iPhone, iPad and on my computer.
- While there is slightly different functionality between the iPhone and the iPad, the basic home screen looks nearly the same. On the iPad you have a choice of All Updates, You or Inbox. On the iPhone, you have a choice between Updates, You, Inbox, or Groups and More.
- The “Inbox” is just as you would expect. Any messages or invitations come to that box.
- The “You” section contains your profile. That houses any information you wish to share about your professional life, skills and education.
- The “Updates” or “All Updates” section is like an overview of your information combined with a news feed. You will see who has viewed your profile, news about the people you are connected.
- The “Groups & More” (found only on the iPhone now) has a list of people you know, groups you belong to and a job search section.
- You can also post comments to your twitter account from this app.
Finding a job right now is challenging. You need all the help you can find, and if you are already a LinkedIn user, this might provide you that advantage. You will know who has been looking at your profile, find out which company has an open position that fits your skill level and be able to network with friends who may know of a job opening. All of that on your mobile device – a snap!
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPad, iPhone and iTouch. It requires iOS 4.0 or later. This app was developed by LinkedIn Corporation.