Total Score: 29.5
There are a lot of political ads playing right now and through the magic of editing, it’s hard to know who said what and if they are telling the truth. With SuperPacApp you can find out whether the ad is truthful or not and who paid for it. Armed with that information you can make a better decision. This app isn’t slanted towards either party – it’s about providing you with a tool to help make your decision. But let’s not get too serious about this, it’s fun as well.
Price Rating = 5 Free.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 You just push a button and wait for the results. It could not be easier.
Readability Rating = 5 A lot of the text is very large, some slightly smaller, but all readable.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 I am a bit of a political junkie, so I find this app essential. Even if you only used it once or twice you would have increased your knowledge, so I think it is a good app to have.
Downsides Rating = 0 None that I have identified. It is not optimized for the iPad at this time.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 This is a very new app and has less than 10 reviews. They are all very positive.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 The more you know about a candidate the more comfortable you will be choosing one.
How does it work?
- The main screen is simple and easy to use. It has a big circle with the app icon in the middle. Push that button when you listen to a campaign ad and a screen will come up saying who paid for the app (Super PAC or by the candidate), how much money they have raised and the money spent on the campaign. It also tells you whether the Super Pac is liberal or conservative.
- On the screen that identifies the ad, you can see a banner (in the middle of the screen) that says, “See claims made in this ad.” Tapping on that arrow takes you to websites who have written about the claims made in the ad.
- For the social part of this app, you can tap on the LOVE, FAIR, FISHY or FAIL buttons to rate the success of the ad.
- If you tap on the “Now” tab, you can see what is happening now in the world of ads. You can play the ads or go get all the information you would have seen if you had captured the ad through the app.
- If you tap the “Ads” button, you see a giant list of ads. You can scroll through them or through the filter button to choose the most recent, popular or ads that have been voted Love, Fair, Fishy or Fail by the users of the app. I followed one of these “fishy” ads down the path to truth and have to agree with the vote.
This is a content rich app and has come along at just the right time in the campaign. In 1597, Sir Francis Bacon said, “Knowledge is Power.” He couldn’t have imagined how easy it would be to put power in our hands. Have fun with SuperPacApp. You could turn this into a truth or lie game with your friends – and probably learn something in the process.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone( 3GS, 4, 4S, 5), iPod Touch (3rd, 4th and 5th generation) or iPad. It requires iOS 5.1 or later. App developed by Glassy Media LLC.