Total Score: 29
I’ve mentioned on the blog that I’m not a huge fan of games on the iPhone. I do love solitaire and decided to try another game by the same developer of my recent solitaire game review. I was pleasantly surprised. Hangman is just as addictive and plenty of fun. It has a new twist on this old game – the word you try to find is one pulled from an RSS feed of current news. If you are a news junkie you should be a whiz at this game!
Price Rating = 5 Free. There are ads, but they do not get in the way. If you want an ad-free version, it is only 99 cents.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 The graphics are clear and it is easy to tap the letters.
Readability Rating = 5 Reasonable size font for both the letters you choose and the phrase you are trying to decipher.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 Word games are a way to keep your mind sharp. Why not sharpen your skills and have fun as well?
Downsides Rating = 0 I have not found any issues that would detract from game playing.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 With over 20,000 reviews, the rating is four stars. The most recent version is rated at 4.5.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 There are plenty of reasons to download and use game apps. They can help you relax, they can help you pass time when you are waiting for someone and they can be used for your own enjoyment.
How does it work?
- You should probably start by setting your options. You can choose a country. When you choose a country, the RSS feed searches for articles from newspapers from that country. The U.S. and Canada have a lot of articles, but at the time I selected a country, Singapore did not have any. This is a good option for people interested in other countries or living outside the U.S.
- Your next selection in options is to choose your favorite service for presenting achievements – you can choose OpenFeint or GameCenter.
- Now you are ready to play. Just tap the “Play” button to start your game. You can choose Easy, Medium, Hard or Expert. I have only been playing for a short while and I have not unlocked the hard or expert modes. I am a bit of a news junkie and I find some of these hard to solve, but I am not discouraged by that.
- Once you have chosen your level, you have a phrase at the top and letters at the bottom. Just tap a letter and it will jump to the phrase to help you find the solution or slide up to the phrase as it is trying to find a spot and then move out of play.
- You can tap on the “stats” choice on the menu screen to find out your best score, best run and average playing time.
- Tapping on “Dig” allows you to learn more about the headlines. I find myself intrigued by some of them and want to learn more. It will only show you the ones you have uncovered.
This is another game by the folks at Finger Arts and I have to admit I am having a lot of fun with it. I am just happy that my “work” includes playing hangman.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. App developed by Finger Arts.