Total Score: 28
I have used a number of the reminder type apps and up until now haven’t found one that meets all of my needs. This app may be the one I have been searching for. I’ll go into all the details below, but Remember the Milk has a couple of things that I like. I know it may be shallow, but I like my reminder app to be attractive – and this one is. You can easily organize your tasks by day, week month and not just one list. I suppose it’s not important, but I love the icon!
Price Rating = 5 Free. You can upload to a pro account for $25.00. So far, the free account is all I need.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 It’s easy to add tasks and to move them around.
Readability Rating = 5 The font is easy to read on both the iPhone and iPad
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you need to find a to do list that has lots of functionality, you’ll use this one hourly.
Downsides Rating = 0 You can only sync one time in a 24 hour period. I am not taking any points off on this because it’s what comes with the free version. If you want to go pro you can sync more often.
Consumer Review Rating = 3 There have been over 24,000 reviews of this app and they average three stars. The latest version has been reviewed at 4.5 stars, so the improvements are pleasing the users.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Keeping organized helps reduce stress. This is one of the best task apps I have found.
How does it work?
- One of the first things you will need to do is set up an account. It’s just a couple of steps and allows for cloud syncing.
- Now that you have an account you can start adding tasks. Adding tasks is as easy as hitting the plus sign on the bottom left corner. You type in the task name, determine which list it goes on, set a priority and a due date. You can also add addition fields – repeat task, time estimate, location or URL.
- Once you have tasks created you can view them by this week, by list, by tags, by locations and nearby tasks. You can also see all open tasks and all completed tasks.
- There is sync button, but with this free version you can only sync once a day. I haven’t found that to be an issue. If you are in the “can’t sync” period an asterisk shows beside the sync icon.
- The default view is “this week.” In order to see the tasks you swipe left. To close this list and return to the view you swipe right.
- In order to view a task you tap on it. Completing a task is as easy as tapping on the check mark. If you decide it’s not complete you can tap the check mark again.
- You can postpone a task. This moves it to the next day. The trick to this one is that it won’t show the next day until you sync again.
- The tag feature allows you to organize tasks by project. By adding the same tag to all the tasks connected to a project you can pull up a list of just those tasks.
- You can edit the properties of a task by clicking on the edit button in the upper right hand corner.
- You can add notes to the task. I find this helpful to remind me that the task may have more than one step.
- I haven’t tested the “all nearby” or add a location functionality. It appears you can only add a location through the website. There is a location choice on the top ribbon.
- You can also add tasks through SIRI. You can find out how to do this by checking out the instructions on the Remember the Milk Website.
This is a full-featured app and I probably haven’t covered all the options, but I have given you the basics and can tell you it is simple and easy to use and visually attractive.
Devices: This app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It requires iOS 4.0 or later. It was developed by Remember the Milk Pty Ltd.