Total Score: 27
There is an app for every interest, skill or hobby. This app, Grammar Girl, for iPhone and iPad appeals on many levels. It is an excellent source for reminding you about (or teaching you) grammar rules. It can be humorous, surprising, but it is always entertaining. I admit to being a fan of Grammar Girl, Mignon Fogarty, and having used her as a source to settle arguments between fellow editors. With this app, you can listen to podcasts, follow her on Facebook or Twitter, or visit her website in one nicely organized package.
Price Rating = 4 $1.99 – It is not a great price, but it does organize all of Grammar Girl’s content in one place.
Ease of Use Rating = 4 I wouldn’t say this app is intuitive, but with just a little exploration it is easy to use.
Readability Rating = 5 The icons and font sizes are nicely readable on either the iPhone or iPad.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 This app will help you sharpen your grammar skills in a pleasant manner.
Downsides Rating = 0 I did not see any downsides.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 There are 60+ ratings and they are primarily positive.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 Whether you are six or sixty, good grammar is essential. It is one way to put your best foot forward.
How does it work?
- The app opens to a list of podcast episodes. You tap the name of an episode and the arrow (the usual commands for podcasts or music) and it downloads and starts playing. You can speed up the playback one or two times – or even slow it down. You can use the slider to move ahead or back in the podcast. The podcasts are pleasantly short – between five to seven minutes. (Grammar tip: I learned today that I am overusing dashes. I do love them.)
- Some shows have extras. You can click the bonus icon (it looks like a gift box) and either see a PDF, play bonus content, view the podcast in iTunes or visit the website.
- You can click on the @ symbol and follow Grammar Girl on Twitter or Facebook. In addition, through this option you can email the show or visit the website.
- There are options to share the podcast through email, Twitter or Facebook.
- When a new episode is available you will see an alert.
This app is a handy reference, and for anyone who loves language. It is an enjoyable way to spend time.
Devices: This app is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. It requires iOS 3.2 or later. It was developed by Wizzard Media.