Total Score: 29
The Pinterest app for iPhone and iPad is social media – with a twist. It is designed for people to share photos and videos that intrigue, inspire or challenge them. With this app you can see what others have added — or pinned — and, if you have an account, upload your own photos. If it’s true that a picture is worth a thousand words, then Pinterest has a lot to say. It is fun to explore and is visually appealing.
Price Rating = 5 Free.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Easy to browse the photos or search for topics.
Readability Rating = 5 Mostly black text on white background. It is easy to read.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 Once you get started browsing the photos, it’s hard to put it down.
Downsides Rating = 0 I haven’t discovered any downsides.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 This app has an impressive following. There are over 797,000 ratings and they are predominately outstanding.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 4.5 Need is always subjective. Photos inspire new ideas, make you laugh or challenge you to learn more. Who wouldn’t want an app that did all of that? It is one of the new trends in social media.
How does it work?
- When you open the app you will see a sign-in screen. If you have an account, you can sign in. Pinterest is a by invitation site. You can click on the” request an invite” button and await an email. I have had Pinterest for a while, but I seem to remember it took about a week.
- You do not have to have a sign-on to browse the photos. If you cancel out of the sign-on screen, you will see a list of topics to browse.
- You can also type in something that interests you. I typed in iPhone and a series of images appeared including a cartoon and lots of pictures of covers and accessories.
- You can click on an image to get a closer look. Right below the image are buttons to repin, like, save to camera roll, comment, share pin URL or email pin. Some of these options are found under the more button.
- If you do have a Pinterest account, you can do even more. You can take a picture and upload it to your Pinterest account. You can see the activity on your account (how many of your photos have been repinned, liked or how many people are following you). You can see the boards you created using the website and the images you uploaded.
- It isn’t easy, but it is possible to pin from Safari to Pinterest. Here’s a link from a blogger who explains the process.
I admit that I am new to Pinterest and there are probably features I have not discovered. I can say that from what I have seen, this app will join my frequently used apps. At the very least, it will help me gather photos for my new bathroom renovation.
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPad, iPhone and iTouch. It requires iOS 4.0 or later. Cold Brew Labs, Inc. developed this app.