Total Score: 28.5
I have to admit that it is counterintuitive for an app review site to suggest an app that can help you find new apps. Nevertheless, I have to recommend Discovr. It is in the entertainment category and is both informative and entertaining. The simple explanation of this app is that you type in the name of an app you like and it plots possible connections to other apps with similar features. For instance, if you type in KINDLE, you are connected to iBooks, MegaReader, Bluefire Reader and Book Crawler. It’s a visual, “If you like this, you might like this.”
Price Rating = 5 Free.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Very simple to use.
Readability Rating = 5 Mostly black text on white background. It is easy to read.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you love your iPhone and finding new apps, I think you will find this app irresistible.
Downsides Rating = 0 I haven’t discovered any yet.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 At the time of this review there were a little over 1000 reviews. Most people liked it. A few people suggested that you should be able to choose to see only iPad or iPhone apps. Sounds like a good suggestion to me.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 4 It’s hard to say you “need” an entertainment app, but with the millions of apps available, I can easily say that having an app that helps you pare down the choices is a good thing.
How does it work?
- The opening screen is simple. You have one box to fill in and you type in the app name. If you need help, you can click on the Discovr logo at the top of the screen and it brings down options – search, help, about, email, share or tweet.
- Once you type in your app name, an image comes up with your selected app in the middle and lines to similar apps.
- If you tap once on an app, it creates another grid with that app at the center.
- If you tap twice on an app, it takes you to an iTunes page and you can choose to put it on your wish list or buy it. Alternatively, you can, of course, go back to the search.
- You can hold your finger down on the screen and move the image around to see all the options.
- If you click the Recommended button you can see some of the apps they suggest. This could be a way to find new apps.
- You can click the email icon on the tab at the top and email the image you see on your screen.
- The About choice gives you information about the other Discovr apps.
- You can click on the Facebook option and like an app or the Twitter option and tweet an app.
- You can shake the device to clear the screen.
As you can see, it is a simple, yet elegant, app without a lot of steps to complicate the searches. It is categorized as an entertainment app, but I would (and did) categorize it as a reference app. It is all in what interests you.
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPad, iPhone and iTouch. It requires iOS 4.0 or later. This app was developed by Filter Squad PTY LTD.