Total Score: 27
We lead busy lives and any app that saves time and helps organize my life stays in my frequently used apps space. Sam’s Club iPhone and iPad apps make that cut. They offer a full featured shopping and list making experience, with a few bonuses – like recipes – in the mix. I like a personal, in the store, shopping experience, and never expected to find apps like this so handy. Shopping in warehouse stores can be overwhelming. There is so much to see and explore that you can forget the key items you expected to pick up. With this app, that worry is over.
Price Rating = 5 Free. You would expect any store sponsored app to be free.
Ease of Use Rating = 5 The icons are clear and easy to move between on both the iPad and iPhone.
Readability Rating = 5 The font size on both the iPad and iPhone for the main features is a good size. When it gets down to smaller searches, the font on the iPhone is, reasonably, a bit smaller.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you shop at Sam’s, then yes, you will use it.
Downsides Rating = -1 iTunes indicates that this app can be used on an iPod Touch, but requires an iOS level that is higher than some (if not all) can install.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 At the time of this review there are just over a thousand reviews and they average four stars. Many comments indicated they would rate it higher if specific features were added like ordering photos or aisle information.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 4 I do use this app and find it helpful. It allows me to organize my shopping trips and get reminders on current specials. I would say my shopping trips are monthly, which makes it all the more helpful to be organized.
How does it work?
- The opening screen on the iPad is of a store with all of the savings and options popping out of the room and the sound of cheering – quite entertaining. There is a billboard with specials rotating. For the iPhone the opening screen is not as dramatic, but it is functional. The main screen has all the icons the iPad does in a nice large font. They are arranged three to a row.
- Learning from other apps, I created a sign-on through the app before I got started. It generally makes viewing more targeted to my needs and an overall better experience.
- The first icon I explored on the iPad (top right hand) was a triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle of it. This offers me a list of specials relating to my store. They could be either event or product focused. The icon is identical on the iPhone and the first one on the top row.
- The next icon is clearly a list. You can add items to the list. You can either search by product or type in the item. If you search by product, you get an actual photo of the product and the price. Ideally, you would see the location in the store. Perhaps that will be something for the future. The icon on the iPhone is in the third row on the far right.
- The settings icon is pretty much like any other settings icon. You can set preferences, find a list of FAQs, contact them or set up some social media connections. On the iPhone the settings are included in a tab at the bottom.
- The last icon on the right is the shopping cart. Items show up if you shop on-line and put them in your cart. For the iPhone the cart is on the tab row on the right.
- At the top left of the screen is a Click ‘n’ Pull icon. If you submit your order online before 5 p.m., they will have your order read for pick up at your store by the next day. I can see this as being handy if you have a business account or are just in a hurry. I have to admit I like the shopping experience. On the iPhone this icon is on the third row in the middle.
- On the iPhone there is an icon for Featured items. It is on the top row in the middle.
- On the bottom of the iPad screen are additional tabs. The first, starting on the left, is the home screen. The same is true on an iPhone.
- The next is the membership screen. If you are signed in, it will show your basic information. The membership can also be found on a tab at the bottom on the iPhone.
- The My Club icon gives you the same information as the detailed information about the specials in your club and the services available. On the iPhone this icon is on the second row in the middle.
- There is a tab for recipes. You can select between Beverages, Breakfast, Dessert, Dinner, Lunch or Snacks. Once you choose a recipe, you will see the ingredient list, cooking instructions and a time estimate. This is all in landscape mode. On the iPhone you scroll down for this information. You can also see a product and find ways to use that specific product. This is a bonus in a shopping app. On the iPhone this icon is in the middle row on the right.
- There is an eValues tab if you have a Plus Membership. It also shows you the current eValues promotions. On the iPhone this is an icon on the top row on the right.
- If you have both the iPad and iPhone apps installed then your lists of things to pick up can be seen on either device.
- When you arrive in the store, you can open the app to get your list and you will also see a list of products on sale now.
This app has a lot of features – more than just a list of products – and I think you will find it makes your Sam’s club visit more pleasant. How do you use this app and do you find it makes your life more productive?
Devices: This app is compatible with the iPad, iTouch or iPhone. It requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app was developed by Sam’s West, Inc.