Total Score: 25
The Whole Food Market Recipes app for iPhone and iPad offers you an opportunity to research, shop and cook new and traditional recipes. You can find a wide variety of organic fruits and vegetables – many locally grown – at your local Whole Foods Market, but the recipes aren’t dependent on shopping at that particular chain.
Price Rating = 5 This app is free
Ease of Use Rating = 4 Easy. The interface is intuitive and looking for recipe ideas is easy.
Readability Rating = 4 Reasonable size font. Some of the selection buttons are small.
Will You Use It Rating = 4 The app will suit new and experienced cooks.
Downsides Rating = 0 There are no ads, other than the obvious fact that Whole Foods Markets is the sponsor. There is no push to buy their specific products.
Consumer Review Rating = 3 With more than 15,000 ratings, users give it an average rating of three and a half stars. I haven’t found any flaws in the app; I would give it at least four stars.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 If cooking is your passion, or even a challenge, you’ll find this app to be helpful.
How does it work?
- When you open the app you are offered five choices – search, on hand, favorites, locations and list. On the iPhone there are tabs at the bottom. On the iPad the choices are presented in the left-hand column.
- Clicking on search on the iPhone allows you to choose between “course,” “category” or “special diets.”
- Course allows you to choose anything from appetizers to dessert.
- There are 11 categories to choose from. Examples are: Budget, Gifts, Make Ahead and One Pot Meals.
- The Special Diets selection allows you select recipes for your particular needs.
- One of my favorite selections is “on hand.” You can put in two or three ingredients you have on hand and a selection of recipes appears that make use of those ingredients.
- The “favorites” space allows you to choose recipes and keep them to use often.
- “Locations” is self-explanatory – but kind of fun. When you choose this option, it maps you to the closest World Foods Market. From the map selection, you can get a phone number, the store hours and directions. In addition, a link to the store website and specials is offered. A visit to a Whole Foods Market store is a delight to the senses.
- When you choose a recipe, you see a beautiful photo of the dish and the recipe detail. On that screen, you get an overview of the recipe, a list of ingredients and instructions to make the dish. If you choose the ingredient list you can select, “Add to Shopping List” and have a list ready to go when you go to the market.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 3.1.2 or later. App developed by Whole Foods
Since my original review, Whole Foods has introduced a new app – Whole Foods Market Missions. A cross between a game and food education. If you like this Whole Foods Market Recipes, you might want to give this a try.
Review updated 9/10/11