Total Score: 28.5
For PBS fans, this app offers you the opportunity to learn more about your favorite shows, set alerts so that you do not miss even a minute and get a sneak peek at upcoming programs. Whether you are using the iPad, iPhone, or iTouch, you will find this app helpful.
Price Rating = 5 This app is free
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Once you set up the information to point to your local cable provider it’s easy to maneuver around in this app.
Readability Rating = 4 Reasonable size font. Some screens have larger fonts than others do. This relates to how much content is shown on each screen.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you are a fan of PBS and their programming – yes.
Downsides Rating = 0 It works well and the iPhone does not have any advertising. The iPad has a small square indicating the program sponsor, and when you play an episode, there is a brief announcement crediting the sponsor. When you consider the quality of the programs you get on PBS, these barely qualify as advertising.
Consumer Review Rating = 4.5 With more than 41,000 ratings, users give it an average rating of three and one-half stars.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 If you are a devoted PBS fan than you will find this app enhances your experience. You’ll particularly enjoy the ability to share links with friends.
How does it work?
- When you first open the app, you will enter your zip code and a list of cable providers come up. You select your provider. It’s that easy.
- Once you select your station, you will see five choices at the bottom of the iPhone screen. The first icon “Previews”takes you to previews of shows. On the iPad there are four choices and they are on the upper left of the screen.
- Once you select your favorite program, you can click on “TV times” to see when it will be broadcast. You can set a reminder or share a link through Facebook, Twitter or email.
- The second icon is “Spotlight.” This has a quick list of the shows being featured at that moment.
- The “schedule” icon shows you the schedule of programs for the day.
- Clicking the “program” icon provides you with information about your favorite shows. You can find out the times they are showing, set alerts, watch previous shows and share the link with others.
- The “more” icon takes you to settings, a list of more apps and offers you a link to donate to PBS. There isn’t a “more” icon on the iPad version. It is quite full-featured and the extra features are easily accessible.
- When viewed on the iPad this app expands the features listed above.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 7.0 or later. App developed by Public Broadcasting Service
The key gee whiz feature on the iPad is the ability to watch complete episodes of your favorite shows. The sound and picture quality are excellent. Not only can you watch your favorite shows, but many have additional shorts – for example, one appraisal on the Antique Roadshow. You could spend hours going through all the content available through this app.