Total Score: 27
Facebook app is a must have for frequent Facebook users. That’s not just me saying it – there are over 1.5 million reviews of the app. Who knows how many people have downloaded it. You have most of the functionality of Facebook on your PC – wherever you go.
Price Rating = 5 This app is free
Ease of Use Rating = 5 Easy. When you open the app it brings you to the news feed page. Inserting a photo or video and adding your status is as easy as selecting a tab.
Readability Rating = 4 The font size is not large, but the presentation is clean and it is easy to read.
Will You Use It Rating = 5 If you are a regular Facebook user you will probably find you check it more often through your iPhone.
Downsides Rating = -1 Depending on your skill at typing on a small keyboard, you will probably find that updating is easier on your PC. That is true of all data entry on your iPhone and is barely a negative. On the other hand, updating on the iPad is quite easy.
It does not have the full functionality of the PC version, but again, that is barely a negative.
Consumer Review Rating = 4 With almost two million ratings, users give it an average rating of four. For simple Facebook needs, it checks all the boxes. I would give it a higher rating than the overall community would.
Why Do You Need This App Rating = 5 If you are a Facebook user it is almost a necessity.
How does it work?
- When you open the app you are brought to the news feed. You don’t see a breakdown of “recent” or “top news.”
- On this page you can click the status tab and add your latest news.
- You can “check in” and let your friends know where you are. Fair warning – Urban Myths indicate that by checking in you are telling others you aren’t home and you could potentially be robbed. You can control who sees this through your profile.
- You can click the keyboard icon at the top and get a menu of choices. You can edit your profile, see your list of friends, list of recent places, open your inbox or review photos.
- Prior to opening Facebook, you can see if you have any notifications by a number in the top right hand corner of the Facebook icon.
Devices: This app can be used on either the iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad. It requires iOS 4.3 or later. The app was developed by Facebook, inc.
At last, Facebook has an iPad specific app. It displays well, like all iPad apps. There is another app that displays Facebook on the iPad spectacularly – Flipboard.